Ben

Ben
My golden Ben - A Nobility of Beasts is a group of animals of all types. Some are obviously less noble than others!

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Riding in Cars with Goats


 
                The Lego Club, at the library where I work, met yesterday. A group of girls made a vehicle, a person, a dog, and a sheep. “It’s a truck, so the sheep can ride in it, too,” one of the girls said, as she loaded in the person, sheep, and dog.

                “I’ve ridden in a car with a sheep,” I said.

                “A sheep skeleton,” another girl said, referring to the fact that once a year I borrow bones from my husband to do a program at the library on skeletons. The bones include a full sheep skeleton that because I am not good at returning things immediately, usually rides around in my car for a few days.

                One year, the UPS man told me I’d left my dog in the car too long.

                “I’ve ridden with live sheep and goats, too,” I said, but I’m not sure they actually believed me.

                My sharing-a-car-with-a-ruminant adventures first started when I was nine.  My family was moving, so my dad drove the U-Haul with my sister and our dog in the cab. My mother followed in our station wagon, with my grandfather riding shotgun and my grandmother, my other sister, and me in the back seat. Our goat, Heidi, rode in the way back.

Heidi and I had a precarious relationship. She’d pinned me against the garage wall one too many times and generally I tried to stay away from her. It’s been my experience that goats don’t like people that can look them in the eye and so are often a little wary of children.  By the time we moved, Heidi had stopped trying to wailing on me every chance she got, but I can’t say I adored her. Anyway, on the six hour trip to our new home she didn’t try to beat me, although she did spend a lot of time reaching over the seat and chewing on my braids.

I’ve moved from Illinois to Virginia with a goat riding on my lap, driven Bruce around with assorted sheep sitting on his lap, and gone home to visit my mother for Christmas taking a goat along for the visit. Generally, they make fairly good car riders, although when they decide to stand up it can do a number on your legs. Don’t try it while wearing shorts.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment